NVG510 Fixer -- An Android Application

App was pulled from Google Play. The app violated Google's ToS out right, so there's nothing I can really do to appeal it and get it listed again. So, I'm making it free for everyone to download and side-load on their android device.

Download the latest binary release here: http://earlz.net/static/com.earlz.nvg510fixer.v2.2.apk

Also, this application is now open source! (albeit very dirty source code) You can find the source code on github.

I was selling it for $3 on Google Play, so if this app helps you, consider donating. My paypal address is earlz -at- earlz dot net. My Bitcoin address is 178DgR2aZcHeYHhXZwtvcJ5RD13Y6YMQBf, or my Dogecoin address is DLY7Vh8oDYLRxQLFAg2PruA15zFMRqoXGu.

About NVG510 Fixer

I get a lot of people coming to this site every day for fixing problems with the AT&T U-Verse NVG510 modem. I found the information to fix the common problems and root it. However, the procedure for fixing this is a bit technical. So, I made the Android application NVG510 Fixer. An Android application makes it a lot easier for you, but I also get to make a tiny bit of money along the way (have I mentioned there is a baby on the way!?)

First off, make sure the IP address of your modem is correct. If you don't know what an "IP Address" is, don't worry about it. This should only be different if you explicitly set it differently (which there is no reason to do)

Second, you'll need to enter in the password to the device. This should be written on a sticker on the modem labeled "Device Access Code". It should be a 10 digit number. Type that in.

What these buttons do

Now, you have a few different options:

1. Enable Telnet -- If you know what this is, you may be interested in it (It'll be on port 23)
  2. Disable Telnet -- Everything here will enable telnet. It shouldn't be terribly dangerous to turn on since it's password protected, but if you're paranoid about security, you can disable it afterwards
  3. Fix Redirect -- This is the infamous "Potential Connection Issue" or /cgi-bin/redirect.ha problem that hijacks other websites and is extremely annoying. Click this button and you'll never see that page again(note: you may have to restart your computer/browser if you are currently seeing it)
  4. Enable UPnP -- If you're a gamer, this option is useful to you. This enables Universal Plug And Play, which is a long way of saying that you can have an Open NAT type without having to do anything else
  5. Reboot -- Finally, you can restart the modem remotely if you're feeling lazy

Potential Problems

There are a few different issues that could happen with this. I'll try to point you in the right direction

• I keep getting "login appears to have been unsuccessful" -- Make sure you're using the "device access code", not the "wireless network key". Also, make sure that when you go to http://192.168.1.254 in your browser that you get the AT&T modem page.
  • I get "no route to host" -- Make sure your devices's wifi is connected to your NVG510 access point
  • I get "operation timed out" -- You might have to try pushing that button once more
  • I get "connection refused" -- sometimes it takes a few seconds to enable telnet(which every other button relies on). Wait a few seconds and try again
  • Your application force closes! -- That's not good :( Send me an email at earlz -at- (this website name) or post below in the comments and I'll try and fix it

After Factory Reset

If you (or AT&T) does a factory reset of your modem, you will have to do this again. However, if your modem loses power and resets, you shouldn't have to run this again

It didn't work!

If you were seeing the "potential connection issue" page, and afterwards your browser gives an error like "server timed out" or "host not reachable", then you may actually not have internet. In that case, call AT&T and hope for the best :) This application will not solve issues with your phone line!

If it didn't do what you wanted, request a refund!

Where is a free version?

I know it's a bit tacky to charge for such a simple application, but I think it's justified in this case. I've spent plenty of time getting to know the NVG510 and helping other people with it, as well as preparing all of the information for publication here. So, I think it's fair. If you don't like it, I will always provide the slightly more technical version for free. See this blog post for details on how to do that.

What's next

I'm not sure. I want to add DNS server fixing, but I don't think I'll be able to fit it in. I'm using Xamarin Android Starter Edition. As such, I have limitations on how complex and big I can make my application. If you want to donate $300 for me to obtain a full license, I'd love you forever :)

Factory Reset

This will completely reset your modem as if AT&T just shipped it to you. It will undo all configuration settings

Bridge Mode

Check the other published info (stub)

Posted: 8/3/2013 8:06:41 PM

Comments

Ling
Hi
I tried both manual (according to a Youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_O6rus8Yqw&feature=youtube_gdata_player) and your app. I didn't solve the redirect problem. Although I haven't cleared my cache. Do you think it could be related that? My email is flyerwolf@gmail.com
9/10/2013 5:49:30 PM
Earlz
Yes, clear your cache and possibly restart your computer
9/10/2013 6:42:22 PM
Motz
Hello! Have you figured out any way to do a simpler root? I know I am capable of rooting the modem, but would very much be willing to throw some cash your way for something easier. We just got UVerse as it is the best option where we are (Detroit), and I definitely I want to use a MUCH beefier router.
9/10/2013 10:07:13 PM
Earlz
@Motz you're looking at it :). The easiest way is to use this Android application. From that all you have to do is push a single button to enable bridge mode and thus be capable of using a better router
9/11/2013 3:26:16 PM
Miami Uverese
I dont understand?  what is bridge mode and do i need it?  also  thru this can i improve me speed
9/12/2013 10:54:35 PM
What does bridge mode do on nvg510

9/12/2013 11:41:38 PM
Earlz
You only need Bridge Mode if you want to use a separate router behind your U-Verse modem without creating what's called a "double NAT".
9/13/2013 1:50:54 PM
KJ
Hi!  I just purchased your fixer app.  When I use your app to put the NVG510 into "true" bridge mode...is it really bridge mode?  Now its just a modem?  I've got to hang a Sonicwall onto an NVG510 tomorrow.  In the past I've had such terrible experiences with this router and AT&T...if its a true bridge mode I just might live through this experience.
Thanks.
9/21/2013 12:19:59 AM
KJ
Earlz,  I do have a question I'd like to ask you:  Using your NVG510 Fixer app I set the router to bridge mode and for some reason find that I want to undo the bridge mode, so I set it back, will the settings that the NVG510 had prior to entering bridge mode still be
in the router or will they be erased or scrambled?  Also, a suggestion for a new feature for your fixer app would be a save settings feature.  Thank you,  KJ
9/21/2013 1:19:14 AM
Can you add undo upnp?
9/21/2013 4:28:59 PM
Earlz
@KJ Bridge mode should not affect other settings. You should be able to enable and disable it and have no side effects. However, I can't guarantee that, so always write down what settings you've applied in case a factory reset is required
9/22/2013 9:33:02 PM
Earlz
@Anon, yes I can. I'll include that in the next update to the application. I warn you it may take a while before I put out another update though
9/22/2013 9:33:56 PM
Anonymous
If I close this app or disconnect my device from the internet, will I have to do it again?
10/3/2013 11:10:03 PM
Earlz
@anon, no. When you use this application configure your modem it is persistent. If you disconnect the internet or power, when you start your modem back up, the changes will still be applied. The only way the configuration will be erased is if you do a factory reset
10/4/2013 2:03:18 PM
Anonymous
When I go to the Google Play store to buy your app, it only shows my HTC one as an available device. Do you know how I should proceed? Do I just proceed with the process after selecting my phone as the device?
Thanks so much. This problem is to the point where it's unbearable.
10/27/2013 11:40:43 PM
Earlz
Yea, this is a relatively new feature of Google Play, (buying through computer browser, but downloading to phone), but I've successfully used it and it works well.
10/28/2013 12:28:21 AM
paul
My app has not been working is there some update I need to install
11/3/2013 7:17:33 PM
Earlz
Not yet. There will be an update in a week or two to fix the issues. AT&T put out a firmware update that broke the app
11/4/2013 6:00:48 AM
anonymous
I work for them and this app was a big help on the job.  I appreciate your response
11/4/2013 4:39:04 PM
Anonymous
I work for AT&T too but it hasn't been working lately because of the new software or firmware on the new 510's. Any update on the software update?  Thanks
11/10/2013 5:25:33 PM
Earlz
I put out an update Friday that should work for the new firmware of the NVG510, for now, anyway.
11/10/2013 7:05:09 PM
Anonymous
I tried your Android App with my NVG589 since your app listing mentions it works with that, yet every action I try says it fails because I don't have an NVG510.  Am I doing something wrong or does it really not work with anything but the 510?
11/11/2013 3:35:10 AM
BTW, my Software version on my NVG589 is 9.1.0h4d38
11/11/2013 3:41:25 AM
Earlz
@Anon hmm. It should work. What do you get when you go to http://192.168.1.254/cgi-bin/update.ha

That should go to a firmware update page
11/11/2013 5:04:59 AM
Anonymous
It does.  I also tried using your web page method but it says the invalid firmware message.  I was really hoping to get this to work because I'd love to get UPnP working.  I did reboot twice but no telnet after the reboot.  Not sure if there is anything I can do to help debug this.  Let me know, thanks.
11/11/2013 6:53:47 AM
Earlz
If you could email be at earlz at earlz dot bet, I could help diagnose the problem further. It's possible that this firmware has this exploit patched
11/11/2013 7:39:52 AM
Earlz
I don't have an actual NVG589 for testing, so I'm having to trust what people say about it. They're so new that I can't get one yet. When they start hitting ebay for sub $50, I'll get one for testing, unless someone has an extra one and wants to ship it to me :)

Also, my email is earlz -at- earlz dot net, if anyone has an NVG589, some free time and technical skills and wants to help me out with testing
11/11/2013 4:45:50 PM
Anonymous
Thank god for your app! I was about to go office space on that thing...  It's worth every last cent of that $3 to avoid terrible customer service, wasting my time messing with code, and pulling my own hair out of my head. Thanks a million!  To all other's struggling with this potential connection error: don't be a cheap ass. Suck it up and save yourself the trouble.  It's the equivalent of 12 gumballs from the vending machine.
11/15/2013 5:58:26 AM
Earlz
Thanks @anon. I want to make clear that I will never charge for the actual information on fixing the modem. I provide the control2.html and info on how it works and such for free documented here. I charge for this because it's a purely a convenience. Pay me if you want to save time basically. Also, like I said, I have a family and such and the extra money provided by this application helps out with all of that
11/15/2013 2:50:54 PM
Anonymous
I'm also getting the firmware invalid error.
Any suggestions?
11/17/2013 4:18:36 PM
Earlz
@Anon Do you have the NVG589? I think I'm going to have to back up and say that I don't support that modem now.. at least not until I can get some cheap test hardware off of ebay
11/17/2013 6:35:37 PM
Anonymous
I used your app for the potential connection error, but now I'm having an issue where the wireless connection drops out for 5-15 minutes. It says authentican error. There is no wan connection. Suggestions?
11/18/2013 1:21:46 AM
Earlz
You might want to do a factory reset and then only do the "Fix Redirect Annoyance" and not do anything else. Also, the redirect annoyance (potential connection error) usually occurs when you line to AT&T is fairly weak. I can't fix that with an app. I just make it so that when you connection drops out momentarily, the modem doesn't block you from using the internet before pushing some "continue" button.
11/19/2013 3:16:17 PM
employee
I am an att employee. And I work directly with the modem and all the others. It has helped in most cases. Att has instructions on how to do this, but takes about 20 to 30 min. My question is why does this app not recognize the modem as an nvg510. I often get( this may not be an nvg510.)
11/22/2013 3:31:02 AM
Earlz
What version of firmware is installed on the modem that this happens on? I recognize the error, but not seeing any reason as to why this would happen unless the IP address or password is incorrect
11/22/2013 5:42:54 AM
Tester
Earlz,

I have a Motorola NVG589 is 9.1.0h4d38 with 5 static IP's and AT&T's "Power" plan.  I've downloaded the app and I'm having the same issues as "Anonymous".  I work in IT for broadcast TV and administer content management systems so I have some technical know how, definitively enough to follow instructions and comprehend.  I'm willing to test with you.
12/2/2013 10:24:36 PM
capone
Firmware lyra 1.2.4 is being released at the end of the month to get rid of the redirect screen.
12/15/2013 3:45:18 AM
Earlz
I've been seeing 9.0.6h2d21 a bit and mostly 9.0.6h2d30 in the wild. Do you know what firmware version lyra 1.2.4 will be?
12/15/2013 8:23:31 AM

12/26/2013 6:14:37 PM
Anonymous
Is there a way to disable Upnp without factory reset after using your tool?

thanks
1/3/2014 4:17:00 PM
Earlz
I'll take that as a feature request. I'll try to include it in the next release :)

If you're impatient though, you can use the instructions here: http://earlz.net/view/2012/06/07/0026/rooting-the-nvg510-from-the-webui
Skip to connecting to the telnet root shell/nsh, and from there you can use this command:

set mgmt.upnp.enable off
1/3/2014 8:44:53 PM
Baylink
Well, we put the app on a HTC Incredible (I think that might be 2.3 or 2.4), and pointed it at an NVG that was running 9.0.6h2d30, and it fails to install the backdoor, telling us:

"Enabling telnet backdoor did not seem to work."

So far as we can tell, we typed in the access code correctly, but it would be easier to tell if your app didn't treat that as a password and obscure it.

Any other possible pinch points I should look at?
1/7/2014 1:25:40 AM
Baylink
FWIW: I've just re-read the Ron Berman and AT&T pages much more closely, and it's clear to me now that they are *not* putting the modem in anything that they ought to be calling "bridge mode" in public; it's *not*; it's just DNAT-DMZ, with all the incoming ports passed through; the router still doesn't get a public IP (which is fatal for me, cause I'm pretty sure the 510 doesn't know how to rewrite IPsec.  :-)
1/7/2014 1:45:51 AM
Earlz
@Baylink, possible things to ensure is that the access code is correct, and that the IP address of the modem is inputted correctly. You may also try to factory reset the modem and then run the application. I've got reports of this problem but have yet to reproduce it on my own hardware. I think it may have something to do with DNAT-DMZ
1/7/2014 2:41:47 PM
Anonymous
I did in fact have her reset it and try again this morning; same result, I'm told.

Factory Reset from the app didn't work with the same error, so I had her long-press the reset button.  I'll go back and double check all the things, though.

It has occurred to me to wonder: there aren't any problems that could be due to the fact that *we're using the NVG's wifi* to do this, are there?  :-}
1/7/2014 3:56:15 PM
Anonymous
Well, a *really* hard reset, and making sure the phone hadn't skipped to the neighbor's wifi, seems to have made it talk to the modem.  But the Cisco RV042 behind it, set to its known IP/gate/mask seems not to talk, nor be accessible at the Remote Management port I had her set it to.  I wonder what's next.  :-}
1/7/2014 4:31:24 PM
Baylink
Sorry; that last was me.

Well, a powercycle on all 3 devices leaves us with working-to-internet wifi on the modem again.  If I'm following correctly, that suggests that the Enable Bridge didn't stick over a reboot; is that supposed to require a Save action in the app?

I can't telnet to 28 from the net, either.  Having her retry Enable Backdoor...

...and it says it's already installed.  Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...
1/7/2014 4:55:53 PM
Earlz
@Baylink the backdoor telnet shell will persist after a reboot and factory reset (and in my testing even with firmware updates). However, bridge mode and other configuration will not persist across a factory reset. They should persist across a regular reboot though.
1/7/2014 6:05:22 PM
Baylink
Nah, the backdoor said it was in, but the Cisco behind it, programmed with its public IP, was still not accessible either direction.

Looking at rolling down to the older modem which is said to be better behaved.
1/8/2014 10:31:19 PM
Baylink
Yeah; I have seen further reports that the 2210 Just Does This Easier, and they're, like, $10 on eBay, so I'm gonna chase her that direction for the moment...  Thanks for your assistance, though.
1/9/2014 4:04:52 PM
Kumpe
Have you considered converting this to an iOS app as well?
1/14/2014 12:08:09 AM
Earlz
I want to create an iOS app for it, but it requires a very large investment on my part. I'd have to get a Mac (~$500 at least), an iPhone (~$200), and buy an apple developer license ($100), and also get a Xamarin license for it ($300). If someone was to want to develop it for me (with my source code) and take responsibility for all of those initial investments, I'd be more than happy to talk though
1/15/2014 3:40:35 AM
martin
hey Earlz, about the nvg510 open source in sourceforge.
i was able to compile everything according to their readme but i have no idea whats next :D
i was expecting them to produce a .bin at the end but no such luck.
if you want i can make the vmware image available for you if you want to take a look or continue.
1/15/2014 7:06:32 PM
Kumpe
I might be able to help you with the iOS app.  Only catch is that I have no clue how to develop apps for iOS.  I have developed a few but used an online engine that was a simple drag and drop.  I have downloaded xamarin free version and compiled an app using their sample code and that was easy so if I had the code build I could compile it with my developer account.  I do have a mac, iPhone, and apple developer license.  And if the free version of Xamarin does not work I believe I can get a license for it.  I am sure there are a few other issues that would need to be worked out but if interested please email me.  jakumpe@justinkumpe.net
1/18/2014 4:44:10 PM
U-Verse Tech
Trying to use the app on the Nexus 5 version 4.2.2 and as soon as I click next after I input the device access code it crashes and closes the app. Any idea what I can do to fix or an option to upload a log?
1/24/2014 8:04:30 PM
Earlz
@Tech that's odd. If you have the Developer Options enabled on your phone, you should ensure that you are using the Dalvik runtime, not the ART runtime. The development tool I used for my app will not work when ART is enabled. It's not enabled by default though so if you don't know what I'm talking about, then it must be some other issue. I use a Nexus 4 with Android 4.2.2 for testing and have not experienced any issues thus far
1/24/2014 8:26:37 PM
Palsgraf
I have downloaded the app, attempting to set up bridge mode on the NVG to a Linksys Wrt120N, I want to ensure that bridge mode is active, however when logging into the NVG homepage, there are no changes in the "firewall options" (like pass-through or server), is this normal??
Also what values should I apply to the router to make sure that it properly receives messages from the NVG?  I have enabled UPnP but I ran a checker and it said that the router was not configured, it seems that nothing has changed since I applied the NVG Fixer applications, Where can I pull up a log to see these changes?
2/7/2014 12:33:12 AM
steve
UPnP on the nvg510 didn't work for me however bridge mode did. I hooked it up to my d-link router and now I have open Nat all around 2 Xbox 360's and an Xbox One at the same time. I'd leave a review on the play store but I refuse to join google+.
2/9/2014 11:13:21 AM
Anonymous
Hi I bought the app but I can't even connect to the router in the first place. I accidentally change something in the router m a c settings
2/25/2014 12:34:51 AM
Anonymous
the signal is showing up, I press the reset button on the back of it, password is not working, I just can't log into the router at all!
2/25/2014 12:35:38 AM
Frank
Your app is just closing on my Nexus 5 when I try to connect to the modem.  It doesn't matter whether I put in the right or wrong IP address...sigh, by the time you see this I'll have to have followed all the manual directions...kill me now...
3/4/2014 11:23:43 PM
Earlz
@Frank ensure that you are using the Dalvik runtime, not ART. Because my app is built with Xamarin, I can't currently support ART. As soon as they put out a release with ART support, my app will support it though.
3/5/2014 5:02:00 AM
Anonymous
I have a wireless access point ( no ports other than wan port)
I would like to use this as before to do all my port fowarding  and just use the uverse modem which is wireless with ports
If this can be done if you coud let me know
Thanks
Denton
Email  zeeworldproductions@gmail.com
3/21/2014 7:35:06 PM
whoezdaboss
I just purchased the app for a motorola NVG589 and it does not seem to work. I am getting this error: "Does not appear to be an NVG510. This may not work yet on the NVG589 and other modems. Sending Backdoor installation script Error: Enabling telnet backdoor did not seem to work.

DONE!"

So does this mean it did not work?
3/23/2014 7:29:27 PM
bobthecat
My goal is to improve the VOIP line going through the nvg510, to do this I think I need to put the nvg into bridge mode and put configurable router behind it. Will this app help me? Reading above it seems like problems occur when ATT updates the firmware, how often does this happen?
4/1/2014 8:13:26 PM
Drewcycle
Thank you for creating this! I can hardly believe what a POS RG ATT chooses to use for their vaunted 'UVerse'. Can this app be used to enable Port Forwarding through a static, public IP to our privale LAN without having to use an additional router behind it? On our old DSL this was cake, just poked pinholes, but talking with an ATT tech he said it cannot be done with the new unit. But then he said the DHCP can't be turned off, either. For the moment, as a workaround, I am using the upstream address that the device lists as its Broadband address even after enabling the Public IP option. But the Tech told me that that IP address is dynamic so we cannot rely upon it. I know it isn't a big deal but it is the principle of them demanding I use a crippled piece of equipment. They are so arrogant.
4/1/2014 8:38:59 PM
Anonymous
This was working. Now all I get is a "failure to connect, no login prompt" error message.
4/8/2014 6:45:00 AM
Earlz
I am temporarily disabling comments due to spam. Until I get better spam blocking support, please email me at earlz -at- this domain (earlz dot net) with issues
4/10/2014 1:45:55 PM
Jae
Hi -- the bridge mode does not persist after reboot.  We completely lost internet the day after this was setup, the customer rebooted the modem, and we ended up with double NAT after reboot.  No factory reset, no nothing.
5/13/2014 3:56:00 PM

Posting comments is currently disabled(probably due to spam)